Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Sick Puppies, Shinedown & Breaking Benjamin Concert Review





I’ve been beyond fortunate enough throughout my career to see some gifted bands play. It only gets better when these bands collide and create one massive Rock show. It doesn’t matter who the headliner is in this case for it’s the opening bands that create the environment for that band. It’s always the anticipation that gets to you as you’re looking for the bands that are opening these huge shows. Sometimes it’s a little of “Awesome! I know all these bands!” or “I know that one, but not the other one…” In this case, it doesn’t matter. All that matters, is that you’re about to get your face rocked off with: Sick Puppies, Shinedown and Breaking Benjamin.

I remember seeing Sick Puppies back in the day when they were first touring around the US with Finger 11 and various other artists. From the first few songs, I was hooked. This 3 person band from Australia brings more rock than some American bands. I only say that because they can prove it many times over. Opening for 3 major acts can be intimidating for some bands, but they handled it like pros and acted as it didn’t matter what size the crowd nor venue was. They’d still put on a hellva great show. Mixing a couple of old songs off their record “Dressed up as Life” and “Tri-Polar,” the crowd got a good mix of how they’ve gotten so far and where they’re going. The only thing I wished for their set was for them to have a larger set list. Once you get a taste of the music, it makes you want more.

-My rating based on voice/instruments sound, stage presence and entertainment- 8/10

In the world of madness, a band has always announced itself as one of its creations: Shinedown. With 3 widely known CD’s, Shinedown is known for their masterful vocals, defying guitar rifts, mood changing bass and tempo creating drums. I’ve watched them over the years as well and every time seeing them only gets better. They keep with their signature style while revolutionizing the way they bring the show. Never ones to shy away from anything, Shinedown reintroduced Minnesota to what real music is and how it’s evolved. Always humble, they graciously share the stage with every band they’ve ever played with while remembering those we’ve lost in months/years past. The soulful vibes this band brings to the table is one to give you shivers and remind you real musicians are born, not made.

-My rating based on voice/instruments sound, stage presence and entertainment- 9/10

I’ve seen Breaking Benjamin 3 times just this year and no matter how many times I see or talk about them, the response is always the same: Brilliant. I’m leaving this review as simple as I can. If you want the details, check out the previous reviews.


-My rating based on voice/instruments sound, stage presence and entertainment- 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment