Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Band Interview: ARKAEA


In every music scene, there are a few remaining bands that are able to evolve and become something more than what they started out to be. Bringing pioneers from Fear Factory and Threat Signal creates a new element in the heavy metal scene. Adding harmonies, hardcore-heavy beats, shrilling guitar rifts, a new dimension draws our attention. All you need to know is one name: Arkaea. On his way to “the office,” drummer Raymond Herrera calls to explain a little bit about this unbelievable band.


STILLCODA: Just around the corner on July 14th, Arkaea releases the album “Years in the Darkness.” Are we a little excited yet for it to be already?


RAYMOND: Oh yeah! We’ve been working on this record for the better part of a year now so yeah! It’ll be good to have some closer on it finally being out and then being able to switch gears over to touring in August; getting more of the promotional aspect of the album, the nuts and bolts so to speak, out and going. It’s good to finally get this thing out there and see what the response is gonna be, cause that’s always the interesting part about it right? (laughs).


STILLCODA: Once this record is released, do you guys have any plans to celebrate?


RAYMOND: We actually just got doing one listening party last week! We did it at my recording studio, which is where we recorded most of the record. So we thought it’d be kind of a cool atmosphere seeing it’s at the place where the record was made. So it was really cool. A lot of people got to ask questions as we had a few things set up, like what types of amps and mics that we used. It was a lot of shop talk but it was interesting especially for the journalists that were there. They usually don’t get to hear the end results at the place where it was made, so it was awesome.

STILLCODA: Speaking of finding out how things were made and what not, how did you guys decide on the album name?


RAYMOND: Jon actually came up with it for a song title originally, but it wasn’t so much on what the album was going to be called. We had thought of a couple of different names of different songs. “Years in the Darkness” had a cool kind of ring to it, not to mention the song itself is a really strong track so it kind of blends itself even more to being an appropriate album title. Then when the album artwork started to come in, we started putting ideas together, it just fits. It’s like the view of the world where the ocean or world climate in a sense coming down all around us. So it was semantic idea and it just all came together and fit like “Tetris.”


STILLCODA: Within the album title, look and songs themselves, it’s being said the band is “…a metal revolution…”


RAYMOND: I wouldn’t go as far as saying it’s revolutionary, but I can definitely see people’s interest in it. There are obviously styles that fit with Fear Factor from back in the early 90’s. But when we introduced people to Metal who generally wouldn’t like Metal, we added elements that were not so boxed in that it was just Death Metal. We actually added a lot of things in there. A lot of times we said that Fear Factory was pure Metal like Faith No More where they could do anything, even a pop song and could do no wrong. We wanted to take after that ideal and be predominately a Heavy Metal band but still bring elements that would make it a totally different thing. And obviously with Arkaea, there’s a lot of that sound. A lot of the things you hear were meant to be the next Fear Factory record but turned into Arkaea. With a little manipulation and a little change here and there, it turned out to be its own kind of thing. I mean, when I mention that to people saying “It’s a lot like the old Fear Factory,” but say that it’s also different, people are like “That’s great!”


STILLCODA: In speaking of the new sound, name, CD, the entire works, what’s in the works for touring? Any headlining dates possibly?


RAYMOND: We’re actually hoping not to headline, I would like to do some support. I mean, at the end of the day, this is a baby band. It’s a brand new thing. We obviously have a lot that each of us has accomplished under out belts, but we don’t want to have a preconceived notion that Arkaea is gonna go straight to the top you know? We know how the business works, how the world works but we’ll use as much leverage as we can from the contacts of the people that we know and such. We’ll do our best to nurture this as it needs to be nurtured, so we’re hoping not to headline and do some support. I mean really, the best way for people to learn about a band is by listening to the supporting bands that are already playing and are successful. So right now we’re working on a bunch of dates in the US but also international options, we kind of weighing the options in making the best decisions for the band.


STILLCODA: When everything was said and done for a song for the record even, what was the very first thought that came to your mind? I know a lot of bands just walk away from it for awhile then come back and really listen to their product.


RAYMOND: It actually took a few spins for me to sit down and not critique it, and to listen to it as for pleasure, rather than a business sort of thing. I think I really didn’t fall into that until maybe a few weeks afterwards, like in April. I really got to step away from it and be really, really proud of it and enjoy the sampling. It’s really difficult to step out of something that you’re so into it. It’s like that for everything for me. I have a lot of other businesses and you sometimes just want to step away from it and look at it from a customer’s/fan’s stand point. But I’m really proud of it! Even if I wasn’t, I’d still say I was because it’s like demonizing one of your own kids or something (both laugh). But at the same time, I do enjoy it and I’m a fan of Metal and music foremost. So I think I can step back and be inspired by it too. I’m already inspired to write the next album (laughs).


STILLCODA: With this band, I feel more of the family connection than the “business connection” and that everyone works extremely well with one another. I think being able to work as hard and as much as you guys do within the band but also outside of it, shows that admiration everyone has for one another.


RAYMOND: Yeah, everyone’s hard work is definitely breathes more heard work, you know what I mean? I’ve been working with Christian for the better part of 14 years now. Jon and pat, I’ve known for maybe a little over a year so I don’t “know” them as well but I know each and everyone of them are extremely hard working. Not only are they hard working, they’re really, really into it. So there’s a lot of passion behind wanting to make something really killer. Making something better than you are, making something better than what you’re able to do at the moment. So it’s definitely inspiring. I like the fact that I don’t just have Christian to rely on anymore for inspiration and hard work, like I know they’re all going to work hard and bust their ass. In doing this record, it was a duo effort on everyone’s part. They’re all really professional, very hard working, all the things that you look forward to working with in the future. It’s good to have that type of work ethic from the get-go here, it’s almost like we’re starting off on the right foot. There’s a lot more from where this came from and that’s always a good thing. Being in other bands myself, along with everyone else in the band, it’s really not as common as you’d think for everyone to be on the same page when it comes to working and the driving force. Everyone’s proactive in this band and it’s exactly where we want to be.


STILLCODA: Being able to have everyone work as a whole and be able to be proactive is definitely shows in the way everything on the album is put together. Being in a group that allows you to all work as one unit is amazing in all its varieties. Now, with everyone being from different bands and such and having toured all over, what are some of the things that you find only in certain areas? Like Metal Heads being in one area vs another. Being from LA and knowing the area to traveling all over, there’s probably something you like more than the other?


RAYMOND: For me, it’s more out of a lack of laziness to go anywhere (both laugh). I’m the only one of the band that was born and raised in LA so the scene kinda came to me so to speak (laughs). Other than being on tour and having lived everywhere for a little bit, I have only ever really lived in Los Angeles. So luckily, I was born and raised in a spot where most people go to if they want to be successful in one of the many industries that people come to LA for. For me, it was like “Hey! I already live here so why move?!” (both laugh). Why try to move somewhere else when people are trying to move in? It’s kind of like I’m already at the party and everyone else just showed up (both laugh). I’ve done records at different locations but LA is my home and it’s where I always want to be. We did a record in New York and in Vancouver but I found that I didn’t enjoy making them as much cause I wasn’t home. I’m very much a home-body which is really funny considering the industry I’m in but I love to be home. I have everything here, I have a schedule, an agenda you know what I mean? It’s like when you go on tour, it’s a shuffle and kind of hectic. To go to different places is amazing, I have no problem doing it, but I’ll still always be a home-body.


STILLCODA: Well I can’t begrudge you that as I’m already missing LA myself now even more just by hearing you (both laugh). Is there anything else that you wanted to say to the fans? Anything we should be looking out for other than the new CD that’s out on July 14th?


RAYMOND: Yes! We actually have 2 new music videos that we shot a few weeks ago. One of the songs is called, “Locust” which is the first song on the record. The other song is called “Gone Tomorrow,” which is the forth song on the record. The world wide premier that’ll showcase on MTV will premier on July 19th! There’s stuff happening everyday so people can go to our Myspace (www.myspace.com/arkaeamusic) or you can just go to www.arkaea.com! It’s always up to date information. I’m also on Twitter, which is www.twitter.com/raymondherrera, so I usually put blurbs up there as well!


STILLCODA: Awesome! I can’t wait for everything to finally come out! Thank you so much for talking with us today and we’ll see you on the road!!!


RAYMOND: Not a problem at all! We’ll see you soon!



Make sure to stop by and listen to Arkaeas new music and keep an eye out for their videos coming out next month! Links to Arkaea:

MYSPACE:

www.myspace.com/arakaeamusic

WEBSITE:

www.arkaea.com

TWITTER:

www.twitter.com/raymondherrera


(Photos are from Myspace.com/arkaeamusic)

No comments:

Post a Comment